| PETALING JAYA (29 June 2008) – In the interest of Asean solidarity, a friendly match will be held in Yangon as part of an effort to provide fund and relief to the victims of cyclone Nargis which hit Myanmar recently.
On 2 May 2008 tropical cyclone Nargis hit the coast of Myanmar and devastated large parts of the low-lying Irrawaddy delta which resulted in deaths and destruction.
Winds exceeding 190 kilometres per hour ripped through Myanmar’s biggest city Yangon for more than ten hours.
The suggestion by the AFF is to have each of the member association send at least one or two players to Yangon to play a friendly match against the Myanmar national team.
“I believe that an additional financial contribution is appropriate before we hold the friendly match,” added Tengku Tan Sri Dato’ Seri Ahmad Rithaudeen, the president of the Asean Football Federation (AFF).
The exact quantum of the financial contribution will be announced at a later date.
In the meantime, several competitions under the AFF banner were confirmed at the 5th meeting of the AFF Council (for session 2007/2011) with the corresponding dates as follows:
– AFF U16 Youth Championship, Jakarta (9-19 July 2008)
– AFF U19 Youth Championship, Bangkok (5-11 Oct 2008)
– AFF Futsal Championship, Bangkok (23-31 Aug 2008)
– AFF Women’s Championship, Ho Chi Minh City (8-20 Oct 2008)
– Asean Football Championship qualifiers, Phnom Penh (15-26 Oct 2008)
– Asean Football Championship final round, Jakarta/Bangkok (5-28 Dec 2008)