ASEAN FOOTBALL FEDERATION
No. 33 Jalan SS3/76
47300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor DE, Malaysia
Website – www.aseanfootball.org
Tel: 603-78755515 / Fax: 603-78755376
STATUTES OF PERSEKUTUAN BOLASEPAK ASEAN
(Asean Football Federation)
In the interpretation of the Statutes unless the context otherwise requires:-
1. “Federation” or “AFF” means “Persekutuan BolasepakAsean” (Asean Football Federation).
2. “Asean” means Association of South East Asian Nations.
3. “FIFA” means Federation Internationale de Football Association.
4. “AFC” means Asian Football Confederation.
5. “Members” means a Member Association or controlling body for football within a country, which is affiliated to AFF.
6. “Council” means the Council of the Federation constituted in accordance with these statutes.
7. “Congress” means the supreme governing body of the Federation.
TITLE, MEMBERSHIP AND SECRETARIAT
1. The title of the organisation shall be “Persekutuan BolasepakAsean” (The Asean Football Federation).
2. Membership shall be open to all Member Associations of countries which are recognised as members of the Azean Zone by the Asian Football Confederation and are affiliated to FIFA. Only one Association shall be recognised in each country.
3. Members shall recognise one another as the Associations exclusively controlling football in their respective countries, to the exclusion of all others.
4. The Secretariat of the Federation shall be at No: 33 JalanSS3/76, 47300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor DE.
5. The Annual Subscription shall be paid by the 31st March each year. Any Member whose annual subscription is not paid by the above mentioned date shall be allowed to attend the Congress or Council Meetings but shall have no right to vote.
1. To associate with the Asean Secretariat in furtherance of the common objectives of Asean through cultural and sporting activities.
2. To promote the game of Association football in every way within the Asean region.
3. To promote friendly relationship among the officials and players of Members by encouraging football matches at all levels and in all other appropriate ways.
4. To initiate and organise competitions, trainings and conference related to football in the Asean region.
5. To raise funds to finance activities of the AFF.
6. To purchase, hold or otherwise acquire any real property or any interest in the same which shall be for the benefit of the Federation, or calculated to promote or assist in the promotion of any of the objects of the Federation.
7. To improve, develop, manage, mortgage, lease, let or sell any real or personal property of the Federation and to turn the same to profit and advantage in any way that the Council may deem advisable.
8. To do such things and apply such funds as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of all or any of the above objects.
9. To make regulations and by-laws as deemed necessary for the implementation of the objects of the Federation.
10. To form Standing Committees as deem necessary.
1. Members shall only be admitted by Congress. The Council of the Federation is empowered to grant provisional membership which shall be submitted to the next Congress for ratification.
2. An Association applying for membership shall submit a written application together with its statutes and regulations, to the Federation.
3. The application for membership shall contain the following undertaking:-
3.1. To conform to the Statutes, Regulations and Standing Order of AFF.
3.2. To observe the Laws of the Game as laid down by theInternational Football Association Board.
4. When the application has been accepted, the delegate of the Association admitted shall be allowed to take part at once in the work of the Congress.
5. Each Association shall inform the Federation of the name and address of the person responsible for conducting, on its behalf, official correspondence.
6. The Congress may grant the title of Honorary President or Honorary Vice-President or Honorary Member to the persons for meritorious services rendered to the Federation. They shall be nominated by the Council. An Honorary President, Honorary vice-President or an Honorary Member shall be permitted to attend the Congress with the right to join in discussions, but not to vote.
LEGISLATIVE, EXECUTIVE AND ADMINISTRATIVE BODIES
1. The Congress shall be the Legislative Body.
2. The Council shall be the Executive Body.
3. The General Secretariat shall be the Administrative Body.
4. Standing Committees may be established by the Council to assist in its work as follows:-
Any other Committees decided by the Council.
4.1.1. The Emergency Committee shall consist of the President, four Vice-Presidents, General Secretary and one more Member appointed by the Council.
4.1.2. The duties of the Emergency Committee shall consist of the following:-
(i) To decide on behalf of the Council on all matters deemed urgent.
(ii) Decisions made by the Emergency Committee are deemed as final and shall be confirmed by the Council at its next meeting.
4.2. Finance& Marketing
4.2.1. The Finance & MarketingCommittee shall consist of a Chairman who shall be a member of the Council and as many members deemed necessary.
4.2.2. The Committee shall frame rules of financial procedures and shall regulate the income and expenditure of the Federation. It shall also advise the Council on the management of the Federation’s property.
4.2.3. The Committee shall prepare estimates of income and expenditure for specific projects approved by the Council.
4.3.1. The Development Committee shall consist of a Chairman who shall be a member of the Council and as many members from different Member Countries deemed necessary.
4.3.2. The duties of the Committee shall be as follows:-
(i) To make a schedule of development activities according to the needs of the Member Countries.
(ii) To outline the details of the activities.
(iii) To recommend to the Council the subsidy for each type of activity.
(iv) To report to the Council from time to time on the implementation of the activities and their effectiveness.
(v) To undertake any other details given by the Council in the field of football development.
4.4.1. The Competitions Committee shall consist of a Chairman who shall be a member of the Council and as many members from different Member Countries deemed necessary.
4.4.2. The duties of the Competitions Committee shall be as follows:-
(i) To discuss and plan the different types of competitions for the Federation and make suitable recommendations to the Council.
(ii) To make site visits whenever necessary for the selection of suitable venues for the competitions.
(iii) To formulate the Rules and Regulations for each type of competition.
(iv) To supervise the organization of the competitions.
(v) To undertake any other duties given by the Council in the field of competitions.
4.5.1. The Media Committee shall consist of a Chairman who shall be a member of the Council and four other members, 2 of which shall be from the Host Country of the AFF Cup and a member from the Marketing Partner and the AFF Media Officer.
4.5.2. The duties of the committee shall be as follows:-
(i) To deal with all matters relating to media relations.
(ii) To facilitate dissemination of information and news for the whole Asean Region.
(iii) To handle all media relations during the AFF Competitions.
(iv) To supervise and enhance the AFF Website and deal with all matters relating to it.
(v) To undertake any other duties given by the Council in the field of Media.
5. Members of the Standing Committees of the Federation shall be from amongst the Council Members or Alternate Members of the Council of the Federation and the Council has the right to appoint any other persons to any Standing Committee.
6. The members of the Standing Committeesshall hold office over a four year period until the next Election Congress.
1. The Congress, the supreme governing body of the AFF shall be held annually to approve the following:-
(a) Annual Report
(b) Annual Accounts
(c) Amendment to the Statutes, if any
(d) Any other business when Notice is given according to the Statutes.
1.1. The Election Congress of the Federation shall be held every four years.
1.2. Apart from the agenda as stipulated in (1) above, the Election Congress shall include the election of the following officials of the Federation:-
(b) Four Vice-Presidents
1.3. The incumbent President andfour Vice-Presidents are eligible for re-election subject to being nominated and seconded by any two different Member Associations.
2. The Council may at any time call an Extraordinary Congress of the Federation. At the written request of three or more Members of the Federation, the Council must convene an Extraordinary Congress within three months of such request.
3. The place, date and agenda of any Extraordinary Congress must be notified to all Members at least one month before it is due to take place.
1. Each Member shall have the right to one vote and be entitled to be represented by two delegates who may take part in the discussions.
2. The names of the delegates must be sent to the General Secretary before the opening of the Congress. The one having the right to vote must be indicated. Should this delegate leave the conference at any time during the Congress, he shall be replaced by the representative next on the list of delegates drawn up by the Member Association concerned.
3. Only the delegates present and entitled to vote shall decide any questions put to vote.
4. No delegate shall be allowed to represent more than one Member.
5. Voting by letter or proxy is not allowed.
6. Delegates to the Congress must be “bona fide” members of the affiliated Association they represent and be subjects of the country represented by the Association.
1. The date and place of a Congress must be notified to the Member Associations either by registered letter, courier service or electronic medium at leasttwo months in advance.
2. The agenda, specifying the nature of the business to be transacted, the report of the General Secretary, the balance sheet and the auditors’ report must be sent to the Associations by either by registered letter, courier service or electronic medium at leastone month before the date of the Congress.
3. All proposals and questions to be submitted to Congress by Member Associations must be sent to the Secretariat of the AFF not later than 45 days before the month in which the aforesaid Congress is to be held. Only those items included in the agenda may be discussed.
4. In cases of urgency, Congress may deal with matters submitted after the above closing date, provided it is agreed upon by three-fourths of the number of votes recorded.
5. The names of candidates for the presidency of the Federation may be submitted by any Member Association and must reach the Secretariat two months before the opening date of the Congress. A retiring President shall be eligible for re-election. The names of all candidates must be forwarded by the Secretariat to all the Member Associations at least one month before the Congress.
1. The agenda of the Ordinary Congress shall include the following items:-
1.1. An Address by the President.
1.2. Confirmation of the Minutes of the preceding Congress.
1.3. Confirmation of the report covering the period since the preceding Congress.
1.4. Confirmation of the balance sheet, receipts and expenditure account.
1.5. Admission and/or resignation of Member Associations.
1.6. Consideration of proposals for alteration to the Statutes and Regulations and Standing Orders of the Congress.
1.7. Questions from Members and all other matters the Council wishes to propose. (Such questions shall be submitted in writing to the Council in accordance with Article 7 para 3 of the Statutes).
1.8. Appointment of Auditors to examine and certify the accounts of the Federation.
1.9. Election of the President and four Vice-Presidents.
2. In the case of an Extraordinary Congress the notice of the meeting shall include the Agenda. No items, other than those included on the Agenda may be discussed.
3. If half an hour after the time appointed for the meeting a quorum is not present, the members present shall have the power to proceed with the business of the day but shall not have the power to alter the rules of the Federation or make decisions affecting the whole membership.
1. Congress alone may alter the Statutes, Regulations and Standing Orders of the Congress of the Federation.
2. A proposed alteration in the Statutes may only be put to vote if it has been submitted by one Member, supported by another, or by the Council.
3. In order to be able to obtain a decision on alteration to the Statutes, a Congress must be attended by at least half of the affiliated Members, but a vote may be taken, even if at any time some of the delegates of these Members have left the conference hall.
4. To be adopted, the alteration must receive the approval of three-fourths of the votes given by the delegates present and entitled to vote.
5. Any alteration to the Regulations and By-Laws of the Congress may be proposed by one affiliated Association only or by the Executive Committee.
6. Alterations to the Statutes shall be forwarded to the Registrar of Societies within 60 days of being passed by the Congress. Such alterations shall take effect from the date of the approval by the Registrar of Societies.
7. The quorum for the Congress, Extraordinary Congress and Council Meetings shall be at least half of the affiliated Members who are eligible to vote.
1. Voting for the election shall be by secret ballot.
2. Other decisions, when voting is necessary, shall be taken by a show of hands. If this method of voting does not result in a definite majority in favour of a proposal, the vote shall be taken by calling the roll, countries being called in English alphabetical order.
3. For the election of the President of the Federation, two-thirds of the votes recorded in the first ballot are necessary. In a second ballot and any subsequent ballots which may be necessary, an absolute majority of the votes recorded is sufficient.
4. Other decisions shall be taken by a simple majority of the votes recorded. With the exception of the following matters which require the approval of three-fourths of the votes recorded:-
4.1. Alterations or additions to the Statutes (See Art.9).
4.2. Additions to the Agenda of the Congress.
4.3. Expulsion of member(s) from the Federation.
4.4. Dissolution of the Federation.
1. The General Secretary shall keep the official Minutes of the Congress. The minutes shall be submitted for verification to two Members specially appointed for this purpose by Congress.
2. The Treasurer may hold petty cash not exceeding USD 500.00 at any one time. All moneys in excess of this sum shall within seven days of receipt be deposited in a bank account approved by the Council.
The Bank Account shall be in the name of the Federation.
1. Decisions taken at a Congress shall become legally operative for the Federation and Member Associations three months after the closing date of the Congress.
2. In cases of emergency, Congress may decide that decisions shall come into force at an earlier date. In such cases, the decisions shall become operative at a date fixed by the Congress.
1.1. The designated delegate of a Member shall be entitled to vote.
1.2. No other official shall vote.
1.3. A Member shall lose its right to vote in the Congress if it fails to participate in at least one tournament organised by the Federation for two consecutive years.
2. Council and Standing Committee meetings:-
2.1. Members of the Council and Standing Committees shall be entitled to one vote each.
2.2. In the event of a tie, the Chairmen of all Committees shall be entitled to a casting vote.
3. The election of Office Bearers of the Council shall be by secret ballot.
4. All other voting shall be at the discretion of the Council or the respective Committees.
CONSTITUTION OF THE COUNCIL
1. The Council shall consist of the following officers:-
(b) Four Vice-Presidents, one whom shall be appointed as Deputy President in accordance with Article 18.
(c) General Secretary cum Treasurer
(d) One representative from each Member Association.
2. All Members shall be eligible for re-election. If a President ceases to carry out his duties, the Deputy President shall undertake them until a new President is elected.
3. The term of office of the President, the Vice-Presidents and Members of the Council is four years.
4. The President and four Vice-Presidents are elected as individuals and therefore do not represent any particular country.
5. If any member of the Council ceases to carry out his duties satisfactorily subject to the approval of the Council, he may be replaced by the decision of the Congress or Extraordinary Congress.
6. Any Member of the Council who is elected into office of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) and Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) shall be invited to attend meetings of the Council of the Federation without voting rights if they do not represent their Member Associations in the Council.
7. Only the following office bearers of a Member Association can be nominated to be a Council Member or Alternate Member of the Council of the Federation:-
(b) Deputy President / Vice-President
(c) General Secretary
Either the Council Member or the Alternate Member shall be the General Secretary of the Member Association.
If the Member Association nominates an official not according to the above, it has to be approved by the Emergency Committee of the Federation.
MEETINGS, POWERS AND DUTIES OF THE COUNCIL
1. The Council shall meet at least once a year.
2. The Council shall:-
2.1. Carry out the objects and manage the affairs of the Federation.
2.2. Manage the funds of the Federation in such a manner as is deemed expedient.
2.3. Arbitrate any dispute between Members.
2.4. Submit to the Congress a report, the audited statement of accounts of the preceding term together with the budget statement for the following term.
2.5. Examine all proposals to be placed before Congress for consideration.
2.6. Fill any vacancy which may occur in any office except those of the President, the four Vice-Presidents and the Delegates from Member Associations. In the case of a vacancy in the office of the President or Vice-President, an Extraordinary Congress shall be convened to elect his successor.
2.7. Appoint Standing Committees as deemed fit and set out their terms of reference.
2.8. Fix the date and venue of Congress or convene an Extraordinary Congress.
2.9. Delegate all or any of its power to such Committee or Commission or to any Member Association.
2.10. Enlist by co-opting the services of any person or persons for the purpose of conducting any business within the objects of the Federation.
2.11. Replace any Member of any Standing Committees who ceases to carry out his duties satisfactorily or on representation by his Member Association.
2.12. Appoint or dismiss any employee of the Federation and at its discretion remunerate any employee of the Federation or any other persons as it deems expedient.
QUORUM AND NOTICE OF MEETING
1. Quorum at meetings shall be as follows:-
1.1. Unless otherwise provided, the quorum for a Congress or an Extraordinary Congress shall not be less than one-half of the Members entitled to attend and vote.
1.2. Council and Standing Committees – more than one-half of the number that constitute the Committee. In the event of an even number, half would constitute a quorum.
2. The General Secretary shall give notice of thirty days for meetings of the Congress, Extraordinary Congress and Council.
DUTIES OF THE PRESIDENT
1. The President shall represent the Federation on all matters including court cases, either as plaintiff or defendant.
2. The President shall preside at the Congress and the Council.
3. The President shall be an Ex-Officio Member of all Committees.
THE FOUR VICE-PRESIDENTS
1. The President shall appoint a Deputy President from amongst the four Vice-Presidents.
2. In the absence of the President, the Deputy President shall fulfil the role of the President.
THE GENERAL SECRETARY CUM TREASURER
1. The General Secretary cum Treasurer shall be the head of the Secretariat of the Federation. He shall record the minutes of all meetings, conduct all correspondence of the Federation, and act as the link between the Federation, the FIFA, the AFC, the Member Associations and other organisations. He shall be responsible to the Council for the administration, and the appointment and work of the staff, of the Secretariat. He shall be an Ex-Officio Member of all Committees. In the absence of the General Secretary, a Secretary Protem shall be appointed by the Council. He shall maintain a register of Membership.
2. The General Secretary cum Treasurer shall also be responsible for the accounts of the Federation. He shall also prepare a budget of income and expenditure for presentation to the Council or the Congress and, in addition, to present to each meeting of the Council a Statement of Income and Expenditure.
3. Examine and approve claims for payment.
4. Ensure that such payments are made in accordance with the approved scales or on the recommendation of the Council.
5. Authorise payments resulting from normal administration.
6. Examine staff salary scales and to make any changes therein, when necessary.
7. Operate bank accounts, as one of two signatories, sign cheques on behalf of the Federation and in general, conduct the position of the Treasurer in a manner not inconsistent with the Statutes of AFF.
8. The General Secretary shall be appointed by the President in consultation with the Council.
9. The General Secretary shall receive remuneration at a rate decided by the Council of the AFF.
1. The disciplinary measures of the Federation which may be enforced are:-
1.1. To caution
1.2. To censure
1.3. To fine
1.4. To suspend
1.5. To cancel membership.
2. The Council shall have authority to impose fines not exceeding USD10,000.00 and the Congress USD20,000.00.
3. These disciplinary measures may be imposed on Member Associations as well as their affiliates which have violated the Statutes and the Regulations of AFF or which have failed in their duties to the Federation.
4. Suspensions and expulsions may only be decreed by a decision of an Ordinary or Extraordinary Congress or in cases of absolute necessity and emergency, of the Council, subject to ratification by the next Congress, the suspension shall be in force, as stipulated in the decision.
5. Associations under suspension shall not be entitled to vote nor to participate in discussions.
1. The Financial year shall commence on 1st January and end on 31st December of that year.
AUDITORS AND ACCOUNTS
1. The Council shall appoint a firm of qualified accountants to examine and certify the accounts before they are presented to the Council and/or the Congress.
2. The report of the auditors shall be submitted to the Congress.
1. The annual subscription for each Member Association shall be USD500.00 and shall be payable on the 1st day of January each year. An Association which has not paid its subscription by the 1st day of April of the same year shall cease to be a Member of the Federation unless a reason for non-payment acceptable to the Council is submitted. The notification of the cancellation of membership shall be sent by the Secretary of AFF by registered letter. On payment of the subscription in arrears, the Association concerned shall automatically regain all its right.
1. English shall be the official language for the Minutes, official correspondence and communications, each Association being responsible for its own translation.
1. AFF and its Member Associations shall abide by the decisions and sanctions of FIFA and AFC.
2. Member Associations in membership with the Federation shall recognise one another’s sanctions without questioning the reason for them
LAWS OF THE GAME
1. All Members of the Federation shall play football according to the Laws of the Game as laid down by the International Football Association Board, which body alone has full authority to alter them.
1. Members and clubs affiliated to them shall not institute proceedings before any Court of Justice upon any dispute with another Member of this Federation or its affiliated clubs but shall refer the matter to an Arbitration Tribunal appointed by common consent.
2. In the absence of Arbitration the Council shall have the right to resolve any dispute between affiliated and its decision shall be final unless decided otherwise by the Congress.
3. Members violating this Article shall be dealt in accordance with Article 20.
The sources of funds for AFF will be:-
1. Annual subscription
2. By imposing levies on both competitive and friendly matches played between members and between Members and other Member Associations.
5. Any other means deemed proper by the Council.
1. A Member wishing to resign from the Federation shall notify its intention by registered letter. The same may be made absolute if confirmed by a further registered letter within three months.
2. A Member whose notice to resign when made absolute shall, ipso facto, lose its privileges and status as a Member.
3. A notice of resignation shall be made absolute only when the Member has fulfilled its financial and other obligations towards the Federation and its Members.
1. A Member shall cease to be a Member of the Federation if:-
1.1. It ceases to be a Member of FIFA.
1.2. It defaults in the payment of dues and/or debts to the Federation.
1.3. It infringes its own Statutes and/or that of the Federation.
1.4. It loses its status as the controlling body for football in its country.
1.5. If it hinders the progress of football within the Federation.
DISSOLUTION OF THE FEDERATION
1. The Federation shall not be dissolved except with the consent of not less that three-fifths of the total membership.
2. In the event of the Federation being dissolved as provided above, all debts and liabilities legally incurred on behalf of the Federation shall be fully discharged and the remaining costs or surplus shall be entrusted to the AFF Member Associations until such time as the Federation is re-established.
3. Notice of dissolution shall be given within fourteen days of the dissolution to the Registrar of Societies.
1. The movable property of the Federation shall be vested in the name of the Federation and shall be executed by a decision passed at the Council Meeting.
2. The immovable property of the Federation shall be registered in the name of the Federation. All instruments relating to that property shall be executed by the President, Secretary and Treasurer for the time being of the Federation.
3. Any immovable property of the Federation shall not be sold, leased, mortgaged or transferred without the consent and authority if the Council. It shall only be dealt with in accordance with the resolution passed by the Council.
MATTERS NOT PROVIDED FOR
1. All matters not provided for in the Statutes shall be resolved by the Council unless decided otherwise by the Congress.
2. The present Statutes adopted by the Congress shall be subject to changes by any subsequent Congress.
1. In the event of any ambiguity or dispute over the interpretation of the Statutes Rules and Regulations By Laws of the Association, the decision of the Council on such matters shall be final and shall not be challenged in the court of law.
1 The Crest of the Federation shall include a black and white football depicting a geographical representation of the ASEAN region supported by twelve arms representing the 12 Member Associations of the AseanFootball Federation and the words “Asean Football Federation” on top of the football. The colours of the Federation shall be black, white and orange.
2. The flag of the Federation shall contain the Crest of the Federation situated in the centre over a blue background.